Best-selling author, keynote speaker
Click here to read about Maria’s books

Tips for promoting your book on Twitter

Posted by Maria Murnane | April 8, 2014

If you want to promote your book on Twitter, I suggest not tweeting about your book – or at least not very often. Here are two things you should do instead:

Don't bombard your followers with tweets about your book

1. Tweet information that is useful to others.

I don’t tweet a ton, but when I do, it’s usually a link to a post I’ve written about book marketing or writing, or a link to an article I’ve read that I think will help other authors. The links to my own posts drive people to my website, where they can also learn all about my novels. This way I’m providing them information they find valuable, but I’m also getting my work in front of them without being pushy.

2. When someone begins to follow you, ask why.

Anytime I receive a notification that I have a new follower, I send that person a tweet of thanks and also ask why he or she decided to follow me. The response is usually one of two things. Either the person is an aspiring or published author who appreciates my suggestions on book marketing and writing, or she is a loyal fan of my novels. Once I know the answer, I can engage in a conversation with the follower. If it’s someone who hasn’t read my books, I send a link to the first chapter of the first book in the series and hope she will take a look. If it’s a loyal reader, I send her a link to my fan page, which includes a list of easy ways to spread the word about my novels. (You’d be surprised how willing your fans are to help you if you just ask them.)

It’s fine to promote your book now and again, but when all I see in a person’s Twitter feed is an endless stream of BUY MY BOOK!, I immediately lose interest. You probably would too, right?

-Maria

This blog post originally appeared on CreateSpace.com. Reprinted with permission. © 2014 CreateSpace, a DBA of On-Demand Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

10 Responses to “Tips for promoting your book on Twitter”

• David Garcia says:

Very interesting, informative and inviting. A WWII vet, retired architect and self publisher with Createspace, I find it difficult to (a) identify my buyer and (b) to answer their query: “Where can I get a copy?” Having read everything Amazon writes abut these subjects, I find nothing remotely specific about either. I am not asking for advice or assistance, just letting off steam and you have made yourself so available, I thought you’d like to here, just one more time, from a “starving writer” about the frustrating part of an otherwise rewarding endeavor, ie: making up stuff and lying about it on paper… (I dunno abut that “LOL” business I hear so much about but maybe it fits here…) Anyway, Thanks for letting me read your stuff and “Keep up the good work…”

• vincent ohwojero says:

Thanks for your suggestion. Ijust published a kindle version of my book and i am still working on bringing out the paperback but i want to know how to use the social media to get my book to the hands of readers. i am relatively new to the social media network. i probably became interested because of my book because i was told that by words of mouth and online advert that i could get my book into the hands of million readers through the internet via social media. thanks

• FBK says:

I have never bought a book that has been promoted on twitter. Not that I wouldn’t – but I’ve never clicked on a tweet link in which the sole purpose is to promote the book. I had to unfollow two people on twitter because my entire twitter feed was filled with their book promotions.
    It was annoying.
    Very annoying and especially so since I only check twitter every blue moon.

I will click on a link to an article that I think might be useful – good point.

• Howard says:

Maria:

Another good tip. Recall you doing that very thing when I followed you. Will give it some thought as it could be helpful.. You of course have a big audience and fans and we all hope to get there one day.. Best of success.

One last thought in which authors might have interest is the requests that new authors receive from friends / fans for a signed copy of their book. It helps get the word out but Amazon does not give them any sales credit. They don’t expect royalties. Any thoughts on that subject?

Howard

• Maria Murnane says:

Hi Howard, I’m not sure what you mean. If you sell a signed book to a friend or fan, you still earn $$. You just have to first buy the book from your publisher, whoever that is (traditionally published and self-published authors are in the same boat here). You don’t earn royalties on the purchase, but you do on the sale.

• Robin Mason says:

Hi Maria, just read this blog and hopped over to Twitter to follow you there. Before you even ask, I’m following you because I’m a novice novelist and am embracing all the good stuff I can get my hands on. I’ve read a couple of your posts thus far and like what I see!
    ~ Robin

• Maria Murnane says:

Cool! I see that you also signed up for my newsletter. I’m glad you’re finding my tips helpful! :)